Close of check-in time changes (as of Nov 8):
Y8 Saber - Friday - changed to 8:30 a.m. (was 9:15)
Y8 Foil - Saturday - changed to 1 p.m. (was 2:00)
This site is for Y8 Event registration only. To enter Y10, Y12, Y14 or Cadet events at COBRA CHALLENGE SYC/RCC visit https://member.usafencing.org/details/tournaments/6046
Meadowlands Expo Center
355 Plaza Drive
Secaucus, NJ 07094
If interested in refereeing, e-mail email@example.com. Only referees who are certified through FIE or USA Fencing, are FenceSafe-approved, and have USA Fencing background screen completed will be considered (FenceSafe and Background not needed if under age 18).
If you have questions e-mail Cheryl at firstname.lastname@example.org
Harmony Suites (https://www.harmonysuites.com) (adjacent to hotel) is offering rooms at $149 (+tax). Deadline to book is October 23, 2022. Must call the hotel (201-381-3000) to reserve using Code 2211FENCIN or by emailing Bhumi Gandhi directly (email@example.com) with credit card information and name and will assist in making reservations personally.
Registration closes November 13, 2022, with regular and late fee periods as noted in "Registration and Event Fees" below. Regular fee deadline is November 6, 2022. NOTE, if you are also fencing in a SYC Y10 event the $40 registration fee for Y8 will be refunded when you check-in on day of tournament.
Y8 events are non-sanctioned and no regional points are awarded.
All events will be capped and entry is on a first-come first-served basis – no exceptions. If event is "full" email the organizer to be placed on wait list. Every effort will be made to accommodate waitlists, and time changes may be necessary. Decision on waitlists will be made after close of regular fee period.
A signed waiver is required if competing only in Y8. If you have signed the USA Fencing waiver for a Y10 event the Y8 waiver is not necessary.
Fencers must be born 2014-2017
We will be following federal, local, CDC, and USA Fencing guidelines and regulations regarding COVID-19 based on pandemic status at tournament time. There will be no exceptions and if you cannot comply with Infectious Diseases guidelines do not register for this tournament. At this time Covid testing is not required, proof of vaccination is not required, and wearing of masks is optional. Spectators however are limited to one(1) per fencer. If any circumstances arise that would preclude safe running of this event, this tournament can be cancelled at any time. Should tournament cancel, any refund of fees is subject to USA Fencing.
Covid/infectious diseases guidelines are encouraged. You must abide by and comply with all safety measures required by the tournament organizer. Anyone (fencer or spectator) refusing to comply with safety protocols will be escorted from the venue. If you cannot comply do not register for this tournament. Stay home if you are sick or do not feel well. Infectious Diseases protocols are encouraged, including:
• Wash and sanitize all your fencing equipment. Consult the manufacturer for proper cleaning instructions to avoid possible damage to equipment.
• Come to the tournament already dressed in freshly washed fencing uniform. Changing in bathrooms may not be permitted.
• Everyone in the venue may be required to wear a surgical or cloth mask covering nose and mouth, even under fencing masks.
• Social distancing is encouraged.
• Spectators should remain in designated seating areas.
• Fencers should remain in designated seating areas and not congregate in groups.
• Refrain from contacting other participants and attendees (handshakes, body contact, etc.)
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your elbow if you cough or sneeze.
• Avoid touching your face, eyes or mouth with unclean hands.
• Do not share equipment such as weapons, body cords, fencing masks, gloves or uniforms, with others.
Each fencer is allowed one (1) person to accompany them (this person does not include your coach). Clubs are allowed a maximum of 6 coaches per day. To receive a coaching credential coaches must be SafeSport compliant (i.e. have a current NCSI background screen and have completed the required online SafeSport training).
Free garaged parking in all garages adjacent to the venue. Parking is allowed in all spaces, even if marked "reserved."
There will be no monitors to display pools or results. Check live tournament results and tournament progress at http://www.fencingtimelive.com. Note, there is no Wi-Fi in the venue; internet access is via your cell phone or other provider.
Regular fee entry deadline is November 6, 2022. All events will be capped, and entry is on a first-come first-served basis. Once the tournament has filled to the capped amount, a wait list will begin. When an athlete withdraws from the event the next person on the wait list will then have 48 hours to officially register for the event and pay event fees. Caps are subject to be adjusted up or down to ensure balance throughout the day. Time changes may be necessary to accommodate events with waitlists.
Cobra Fencing Club and Meadowlands Exposition Center are not responsible for any lost or stolen property. Check to make sure you have all your personal belongings before you leave, as anything left at the end of the day will be thrown out! NO EXCEPTIONS.
• Food and drink will be sold in the venue, however is a limited menu. If you have special dietary needs you should bring your own food. There may not be public water stations available so please bring your own water or you will have to purchase water at the venue. There is a water fill fountain in the lobby, however operation is at venue discretion.
• No parents, coaches, or spectators will be allowed in the designated fencing area during the pool round. However, one coach is allowed to assist a fencer during DE bouts. Coach will stand in a clearly designated area and will be instructed not to step out of this area until the bout ends. Violators will be escorted out of the venue immediately.
• Fencers should not touch the scoring machines, weights, shims. Fencers must verify accuracy of the score sheet. Results will be posted at http://www.fencingtimelive.com and any errors should be reported to the Bout Committee immediately.
• When you have finished fencing in your event, gather your belongings quickly and exit the building immediately. You should not stay and socialize.
• Top 8 will be awarded medals; there will be a medal ceremony.
• Cobra Fencing Club and Meadowlands Exposition Center are not responsible for any lost or stolen property. Do not leave your personal belongings unattended in the venue. Check to make sure you have all your equipment and belongings before you leave, as anything left at the end of the day will be thrown out! NO EXCEPTIONS.
• Venue opens 6:30AM. We recommend arriving at least 90 minutes before close of check-in.
• Current USA Fencing membership, current FIE license, or foreign federation membership is required. To become a member of USA Fencing visit https://www.usafencing.org/membership.
• All fencers must have a USA Fencing membership card with barcode, or a clearly legible copy, or downloaded to your phone to use the contactless Auto Check-In feature. Membership cards can be printed from your profile section at usfencing.org.
• Not mandatory, but fencers can present proof of age (original or copy of birth certificate, passport) if USA Fencing membership card does not state "Birth year is Verified " on the card and we will forward your age verification to USA Fencing.
• Fencers must check in each day they compete.
Note, if you are fencing in a Y10 additional event the registration fee for Y8 will be refunded when you check-in on day of tournament.
No exceptions to late fees will be made for inability to register within stated deadlines. There will be NO reminder emails sent to competitors with incomplete registrations; i.e, no payment. It is your responsibility to be aware of registration deadlines and ensure your entry is complete. Entry and waitlisting is first-come, first-served.
REGULAR entry/payment until November 13, 2022: $40 registration fee plus $60 per event. On-line registration closes Nov 13. NO WALK-IN ENTRY
• Must send notification of withdrawal and request for refund to firstname.lastname@example.org. FENCERS WHO WITHDRAW THEMSELVES WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND. Registration fee and any FRED fees are nonrefundable. Requests for event fees refunds will only be honored if received prior to midnight on November 13, 2022,and must include a mailing address. There will be no exceptions to this policy, including for medical.
• There are no refunds in the event of time changes on the same day. All times are subject to change according to event entries, therefore we strongly encourage you to keep your entire day flexible until final close-of check-in times are posted. Any day/time changes will be posted no later than November 8, 2022.
• On tournament day, fencers arriving after close of check-in will not be allowed to compete. They will be withdrawn from the competition, and no there will be no refund of entry fees for any reason. No refunds issued to no-shows for any reason.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Event registrations will be capped and all entries are first-come, first-served.
All event days/times are subject to change, and we strongly urge you to keep your entire week-end flexible until final close of check-in times are determined. There will be no refunds issued due to time changes on the same day. Any day/time changes will be posted no later than November 8, 2022.
Fencers are not allowed to compete in more than one event per day, unless approved by the Bout Committee and Tournament Organizers. Contact organizer before registering for authorization.
Fencing commences shortly after close of check-in (usually within 15-30 minutes). We suggest arriving at least 1 hour prior to close of check-in to allow for equipment check and proper warm up time. Venue opens at 6:30 a.m.
Y8 Mixed Saber 8:30 a.m. Friday, Nov 25
Y8 Mixed Foil 1:00 p.m. Saturday, Nov 26
Y8 Mixed Epee 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov 27
Full SYC/RCC day schedule:
8:15 Y12 WE
8:30 Y8 Mixed Saber
1:00 Y12 MF
1:00 Y10 WF
2:00 Y10 ME
3:30 Y12 MS
8:00 Y14 MF
8:15 Y12 ME
8:30 Y14 WS
12:00 Y10 WS
12:00 Y14 WE
1:00 Y12 WF
1:00 Y8 Mixed Foil
2:00 Y10 WE
4:00 Y14 MS
8:00 Y14 ME
8:30 Y10 MF
11:30 Y10 MS
1:00 Y14 WF
1:30 Y8 Mixed Epee
2:00 Y12 WS
Absolute Fencing Gear (https://www.absolutefencinggear.com) is equipment sponsor and exclusive vendor, and will be on-site for equipment sales.
Food and beverage concessions will be available at the Expo Center. Menu is limited. There are also numerous restaurants near the venue. You are encouraged to bring your own water, as there may be no public water stations available and water may only be available by purchase from the venue.
Harmony Suites (https://www.harmonysuites.com) (adjacent to hotel) is offering rooms at $149. Deadline to book is October 23, 2022. Must call the hotel (201-381-3000) to reserve using Code 2211FENCIN or by emailing Miriam Cruz directly (Mcruz@harmonysuites.com) with credit card information and name and she will assist in making reservations personally.
Other nearby hotels:
Hyatt Place Secaucus Meadowlands: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/new-jersey/hyatt-place-secaucus-meadowlands/ewrzs?src=corp_lclb_gmb_seo_ewrzs
Aloft Secaucus https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/ewras-aloft-secaucus-meadowlands/overview)
Courtyard by Marriott: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrse-courtyard-secaucus-meadowlands
Six national hotel chains are within a 5 minute drive: Crowne Plaza Hotel, LaQuinta Inn & Suites, Meadowlands Plaza Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Meadowlands, Candlewood Suites
WHERE SHOULD I GO FIRST??
Check in: Scan USA Fencing membership card with barcode at the contactless self-check-in station. Print membership card on-line at http://www.usfencing.org/membership. If you wish to take advantage of the age verification process, see the staff member at check-in and provide a copy of passport, birth certificate or other government-issued identification.
All times are close of check-in. We strongly encourage you to arrive at the venue at least 1 hour before close of your event registration. Venue opens at 6:30 a.m. Fencers failing to check-in by the published deadline will be removed from the event and refunds will not be issued. Fencers must check-in each day they fence.
Find a location for your fencing bag (do not block doors, aisles, walking areas, or fire exits). Tentative Pod assignments for your event will be posted noting the location of your pool round, so you can place your fencing bag near your pool location if you wish. Proceed to equipment check at the armory. Do not bring your fencing bag into the armory line. Armorers will test foil and saber lame, masks, gloves, 2 body cords, 2 saber mask cords, saber cuff. Masks that do not pass the 12-kg punch test will be impounded or given a visible mark to signify that the mask is “not approved for use.” Have your lame right side out and zipped up. Untangle and straighten body cords and mask cords, and remove any tape from previous tournaments.
After checking in, verify all fencer information at fencingtimelive.com and report any discrepancies to the Bout Committee (BC) before close of check-in time for your event. No changes will be made after check-in closes.
Listen for final pool strip assignment announcement. Pool assignments are posted shortly after close of check-in at fencingtimelive.com.
WHEN WILL I START FENCING?
Each event consists of 2 rounds (round robin pool and then direct elimination (DE)). First round (pools) begins approximately 15-30 minutes after close of check-in, tournament conditions permitting. Occasionally there will be unforeseen delays, and if this should occur we appreciate your understanding. To avoid delays resulting from incorrect seeding of pools, it is vital you verify all information after you check in and report errors (misspelled name, wrong club, wrong rating/ranking) to the BC before close of check-in time for your event.
The number of pools is determined by the total number of fencers in the event. Pools are combinations of 5 or 6 or 6 or 7 fencers. You will be assigned to one pool.
HOW DO I FIND OUT WHERE I WILL BE FENCING?
Listen for announcements, and shortly after check-in closes pool strip assignments will be posted on-line at https://fencingtimelive.com. There is no wi-fi in the venue; internet access is through your cell phone or other provider. Take spare weapons and body cords with you when reporting to the strip for your bouts. USA Fencing Rules apply (https://www.usafencing.org/usa-fencing-rule-book).
WHAT DO I DO AFTER MY POOL IS FINISHED?
After finishing all your pool bouts the referee will show you the pool score sheet. You must check scores for accuracy, then sign the pool sheet and thank the referee. If there are any score errors, do not sign until the error is corrected. Once the pool sheet with fencer signatures is submitted to the Bout Committee there will be no changes made. Do not leave the venue. When ALL pools for your event are completed the results for the entire field are ordered by best to poorest (highest ratio of victories vs. bouts fenced, touches scored vs. touches received), and the DE round is seeded from these results.
Once pool round results are posted you must again check these for accuracy and report errors immediately to the BC. Do not leave the venue after the pool round, as there is 100% promotion to the DE round. The DE tableau will be posted and you then report to the strip(s) indicated for your event and listen for the referee to call you.
Notify the referee if you need to leave the strip area for any reason. You are allowed 2 calls to the strip, then if not present at the 3rd and final call you will be scratched.
The DE round continues as winners advance until the final bout. Medals will be awarded to Top 8 finishers. Once you are done competing you must exit the venue quickly. If you are in the Top 8 stay for the medal ceremony. Be sure you have all your belongings and equipment, as anything left behind at the end of the day will be thrown away.
• USA Fencing rules apply. https://www.usafencing.org/usa-fencing-rule-book
• Equipment check required (mask, lame (as appropriate), sabre cuffs, gloves, head cords, and body cords). 800N Saber Glove is Mandatory. Armorer will be on-site for repairs (for fee). Fencers only need to have their equipment passed once for the duration of the SYC/RCC.
• Must have at least two working weapons and two body cords when reporting to the strip. Maximum blade length for Y8 competitions is 32.5.
• Full USA Fencing regulation uniform required. Name is NOT required on jacket/lame. Come to the venue already dressed, as changing in the restrooms will not be allowed. Foil mask with conductive bib required. Rule regarding chest protectors for FOIL fencers: https://www.usafencing.org/news_article/show/922236. Fencers arm, equip and clothe themselves and fence at their own responsibility and at their own risk. Fencers are responsible for ensuring arrival at the strip with working equipment.
Fencers arm, equip and clothe themselves and fence at their own responsibility and at their own risk.
• Uniforms (jacket, pants, knee-high socks, fencing glove): Standard fencing uniforms; cannot have any rips, tear, or holes. Warm-up pants or jeans are not allowed. Fencing glove must cover half of the forearm. 800N Saber Glove is mandatory.
• Plastrons (underarm protectors): Standard fencing plastron; required with every uniform
• Chest Protector: Required for females. All women's FOIL fencers are required to wear a padded chest protector. Men are not required to wear a chest protector; however, if they do, it must have acceptable padding. All chest protectors must be worn under the plastron. Rule regarding chest protectors for FOIL fencers: https://www.usafencing.org/news_article/show/922236.
• Masks: 12K punch test; sewn in bib. Conductive Bib in foil is required. Elastic strap at back of mask is required
• Blades: The maximum blade length permitted for Y8 and Y10 competitions is 32.5 inches. For Y12, Y14, Cadet competitions, standard blade length of 30-35” permitted.
• Weapon Handle: Any attachment to a weapon’s handle must fix the hand in one position such that the top of the thumb is no more than 2 cm from the inner surface of the guard.
• Names on Uniforms: Not required at SYC/RCC
• Medals awarded to 8th place.
• Photography and filming is allowed, however NO flash photography is allowed near ongoing competitions.
Withdrawal during tournament:
• Withdrawal during pools: The pools must be fenced through the last bout. A fencer who withdraws, or who is excluded, is scratched from the pool, and his results are annulled as if he had not taken part.
• Withdrawal during DE: When for whatever reason a fencer cannot fence or cannot complete his bout, his opponent is declared winner of that bout. A fencer who withdraws does not lose his place in the overall classification of the competition.
The Athletes Handbook (https://www.usafencing.org/athlete-handbook) is the definitive reference document regarding competitions.
USA Fencing Rule Book
We will adhere to the USA Fencing code of conduct for athletes, parents, and spectators. Everybody present in the venue must remain orderly and not disturb the smooth running of competition. No one is allowed in the strip enclosure during pool round. During the DE round each fencer may have 1 person inside the enclosure, and this person (coach, parent, teammate, etc) must remain at the back of the strip, and all other spectators outside the draped rail.
At no time is anyone allowed to criticize the Officials or their decisions, to insult them or to attempt to influence them in any way. Coaches and spectators are allowed to give advice to fencers, but must not disturb the order of the bout. The Referee and/or the Bout Committee on their own authority, or at the request of an official, can decide to expel from the venue, with or without a warning, any person who by gesture, attitude or language disturbs the good order or smooth running of the event.
** Liability waiver - Upon entering this tournament you agree to abide by the current rules of USA Fencing and other applicable rules instituted by Cobra Fencing Club. You acknowledge you are entering this tournament at your own risk and release USA Fencing and its sponsors, Cobra Fencing Club, Meadowlands Expo Center, and referees/staff from any liability. With entry you give consent to tournament organizers to obtain medical care from any licensed physician, EMS personnel, hospital or clinic for any injury or illness that may arise during activities associated with this tournament. Photography, filming, recording, or any other form of media of the athlete during the tournament can be used by Cobra Fencing Club and USA Fencing. Those wishing to opt out of media coverage must inform the Bout Committee.** Cobra Fencing Club and Meadowlands Exposition Center are not responsible for any lost or stolen property.
Fencers, Coaches, Parents, and Spectators must conduct themselves according to USA Fencing Code of Conduct [USA Fencing](https://www.usafencing.org/codes-of-conduct). USA Fencing black card policies will be enforced. Photography is allowed, however NO FLASH photography is allowed near active fencing. No one is allowed inside the pod during pool round except the fencers. During the DE round each fencer is allowed one person (coach, parent, teammate) in the pod with them, and that person must remain at the back of the strip and not interfere with the referee aisle.