2020-2021 Gulf Coast Division Qualifiers
JOs and Summer Nationals
Foil and Saber
NOTE: Foil and saber qualifiers are on Saturday, April 24, at Houston Athletic Fencing Center; epee qualifiers are on Sunday, April 25, at Alliance Fencing Academy.
Foil and Saber
Saturday, April 24
Houston Athletic Fencing Center
4997 W. Bellfort
Houston, TX 77035
Pre-registration opens 4/10/2021
Pre-registration closes 4/23/2021
No walk-ins accepted
COVID protocols in place. Precautions include but are not limited to:
- Only fencer plus one in the club.
- All who enter the club will have their temperature taken and be asked a series of screening questions.
- Arm bands will be given to those who have been screened. Please keep these armbands on while in the club.
- Anyone in the club without an armband will be asked to leave.
- Facemasks must be worn over the nose and mouth at all times unless eating or drinking. Gaiters and bandanas do not count. We'll have facemasks on hand for those who arrive without facemasks. Please help keep everyone safe -- and don't make us be the mask police!
- Only fencers may eat and drink in the fencing area. Spectators may eat and drink only in the observation area.
- Screaming is a Group 1 penalty and applies to fencers and spectators.
A competitive USA Fencing membership required to fence! You must complete your USA Fencing membership application online by Wednesday, April 21, so that we may verify your membership prior to the event. No one will be allowed to fence without a current, competitive, USA Fencing membership. If you plan to fence more than one event on the same day, pools in later events will not be delayed for you.
Events | Back to top
- Junior Men's Foil - 9:00 a.m.
- Junior Men's Saber - 9:30 a.m.
- Division II Men's Foil - 10:00 a.m.
- Division II Men's Saber - 10:30 a.m.
- Cadet Men's Foil - 11:00 a.m.
- Cadet Men's Saber - 11:30 a.m.
- Junior Women's Foil - Noon
- Junior Women's Saber - 12:30 p.m.
- Division II Women's Foil - 1:00 p.m.
- Division II Women's Saber - 1:30 p.m.
- Cadet Women's Foil - 2:00 p.m.
- Cadet Women's Saber - 2:30 p.m.
Birth Year Requirements | Back to top
If a fencer's USA Fencing membership card does not show their birth date as "Verified: Yes" (see back of card), they must bring proof of age to registration. Passports, birth certificates, and other government-issued IDs are acceptable; school IDs are not.
Cadet: 2004 - 2007
Junior: 2001 - 2007
Division II: Born 2007 or earlier
Fees | Back to top
Cash and checks accepted.
Each event: $15
Registration | Back to top
- Registration will open one hour prior to the close of registration for each event.
- To minimize crowds, please do NOT arrive more than an hour early.
- Fencers in all events must show their USA Fencing membership card.
- All fencers must sign a Waiver of Liability form, available online or at the event.
- Fencers under 18 years of age must have a parent's or guardian's signature on the Waiver of Liability form. Please bring your health insurance information.
Equipment Check | Back to top
- Equipment check will be available Friday, April 23, 6-8:30 p.m.
- Equipment check also will open one hour prior to the close of registration for the first event, and remain open through the last event.
- Full equipment checks will be performed. All fencers must have a mask, a glove, at least two body cords and at least two weapons. Foil and saber fencers must have at least two mask cords and a lamé.
- Armorers will be on hand to perform minor equipment repairs. If equipment cannot be repaired, new equipment may be purchased in The Fencing Store. Cash and checks accepted.
Format | Back to top
Pools: 100% promotion to the Direct Elimination round.
Direct Elimination: All bouts are 15-touch.
As this is a qualifier, there will be a fence-off for third place.
Shopping and Snacks | Back to top
The Fencing Store, located within the Houston Athletic Fencing Center, is a fully equipped fencing store with full lines of equipment, t-shirts, tools, fencing shoes, fencing novelties, etc. Cash and checks accepted.Snacks and drinks will be available for purchase. Cash accepted.
Visiting Our Salle | Back to top
- Drinks are permitted in covered containers (bottled drinks, water bottles).
- Please pick up your trash.
- Chairs are available in the fencing area for folks to watch the events.
- Bleachers are available in the observation area outside the fencing area.
- Please do not interfere with the referees during bouts.
- No running in the fencing area at any time.