The Virginia Division is excited to offer it's annual Kick Off Open as a DIV IA and DIV II ROC on September 28th and September 29th, 2013. 12 events and well over 600 fencers competed last year in Fredericksburg, this year now featuring 27 grounded (20 metal) strips. Fredericksburg, Virginia is a 50 minute drive from Richmond International Airport and just about 60 minutes from Reagan National (DCA) and Dulles International (IAD).
As part of this great weekend of competition, additional FOC are being brought in to support referee development in the VA Division area and will be paired with these people during the events.
About Fredericksburg - a beautiful historic town with tons of great restaurants of all cuisines and price points. Really, there's too many places to list, but we'll provide information at the venue on where to go!
EVENT SCHEDULE (Events are expected to start within 30 minutes of Check In Close)
Saturday - September 28th
Senior Men's DIV IA ROC Foil Sat 9/28 8:00 AM
C & Under Senior Women's DIV 2 ROC Saber Sat 9/28 8:00 AM
C & Under Senior Men's DIV 2 ROC Epee Sat 9/28 8:30 AM
Senior Men's DIV IA ROC Saber Sat 9/28 12:00 PM
C & Under Senior Women's DIV 2 ROC Foil Sat 9/28 12:30 PM
Senior Women's DIV IA ROC Epee Sat 9/28 1:30 PM
Sunday - September 29th
Senior Men's DIV IA ROC Epee Sun 9/29 8:00 AM
Senior Women's DIV IA ROC Foil Sun 9/29 8:30 AM
Senior Women's DIV IA ROC Saber Sun 9/29 9:00 AM
C & Under Senior Men's DIV 2 ROC Foil Sun 9/29 11:30 AM
C & Under Senior Men's DIV 2 ROC Saber Sun 9/29 12:30 PM
C & Under Senior Women's DIV 2 ROC Epee Sun 9/29 1:00 PM
TOURNAMENT FEES - LATE FEES APPLY AT THIS WRITING
Registration Fee - $25 (one time)
DIV IA EVENT Fee - $70 per event between 9/19-9/24. $100 per event CASH or CHECK at the door!!! **
DIV II EVENT Fee - $55 per event between 9/19-9/24. $80 per event CASH or CHECK at the door!!! **
PAYMENT FOR EVENTS
ALL FEES must be collected as part of your COMPLETED AskFred registration. ONLY WALK IN PAYMENTS will be accepted at the door. There is no ATM at the facility, and please make all checks payable to Virginia Division of US Fencing,LLC.
YES, Equipment check is a requirement and will start at 6:30am each day. We will be testing masks, all lame material and body cords.
The 2013 KICKOFF OPEN DIV IA and DIV II ROC will be held at the Fredericksburg Expo Center, in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Fredericksburg Expo Center
2371 Carl D. Silver Parkway
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
TOURNEY HOTEL(S): Walking distance to the Venue!
Hampton Inn & Suites Fredericksburg-at Celebrate Virginia
1080 Hospitality Lane
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
Hilton Garden Inn
1060 Hospitality Lane
Homewood Suites by Hilton Fredericksburg
1040 Hospitality Lane
Hilton Garden Inn: http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/groups/personalized/D/DCAFHGI-USFT13-20130927/index.jhtml
Homewood Suites: http://homewoodsuites.hilton.com/en/hw/groups/personalized/F/FRBHWHW-FEN-20130927/index.jhtml
Absolute Fencing Gear
National Event level referees and Bout Committee staff. We will update this site with this info as we confirm attendees.
Mary Frye - Assigner
Jon Moss - Assigner
Rob Del Gaizo
Amy Rowan Sach
And Many More!
IMPORTANT ROC INFORMATION!!!
ROC events function as qualifiers to the National Championships Division I-A, Division II, and Veteran Categories, and may qualify fencers to other events, depending upon classification and status.
ROC tournaments are open to current USFA competitive members eligible to fence in Open competitions (one-day membership are not valid for this tournament) and to foreign fencers with current FIE licenses. However, foreign fencers are not eligible to compete in USFA National Championship events. In the event that a foreign fencer finishes within the qualifying group, the foreign fencer will be skipped and only the highest-finishing eligible domestic fencers will qualify.
Qualification Path to Nationals from the D1A ROCs:
•Place in top 8, of those eligible and not already qualified, at any current season Division I-A Regional Open Circuit [BoD, August 31, 2011] OR
•Be on the current season’s Division I-A Regional Open Circuit point standings at the regular fee entry deadline for the USA Fencing National Championships with at least 1000 points [BoD, August 31, 2011].
Qualification Path to Nationals from the DV2 ROCs
•Finish in the top 10% (with a minimum of 4) of a Division II ROC (see Table 18.104.22.168 in Chapter 2.7) [BoD, September 2010]
The ROCs award points to the top 32. Only the best 3 results count toward point totals; points can only be updated once results and program service fee are received by the National Office from the ROC tournament organizer. Please refer to Chapters 3 & 4 of the Athlete Handbook for more details on points. Athlete Handbook 3.2.2, “Senior, Junior, Cadet, ROC, SYC tournaments are required to have at least 6 competitors for points to be awarded and cannot be a mixed competition. If there are less than 10 competitors there must fence off 3rd place.”
Div I-A: Born 2000 or before, or on the Junior National Rolling Points List
Div II: Born 2000 or before, and with C, D, E, or U rating
Note: Results posted at the venue and on FRED are not official; results must be verified by the national office for final determination of qualification). The Athlete’s Handbook (http://usfencing.org/resources/documents/athlete-handbook) contains detailed information on qualifying pathways and should be consulted as the appropriate reference document.
Liability waiver - Upon entering this tournament you agree to abide by the current rules of the US Fencing and other applicable rules instituted by the Virginia Division of US Fencing, LLC (VA DIV). You acknowledge you are entering this tournament at your own risk and release the US Fencing and its sponsors,(VA DIV), and referees from any liability. With entry you give consent to the (VA DIV) to obtain medical care from any licensed physician, hospital or clinic for any injury or illness that may arise during activities associated with this tournament. Photography, filming, recording, or any other form of media of the athlete during the tournament can be used by the (VA DIV) and the US Fencing. Those wishing to opt out of media coverage must inform the Bout Committee.
• Entry is determined by 2013-14 USFA Birth year requirements and rating restrictions:
Div I-A: Born 2000 or before, or on the Junior National Rolling Points list
Div II: Born 2000 or before and with C, D, E, or U rating
• USFA rules apply (http://usfencing.org/resources/documents/usfa-rulebook)
• Full USFA regulation uniform is required. Electric bib required in foil events.
• Must have at least two working weapons and two body cords.
• Current USFA competitive or other foreign federation membership required. Must present membership card at check-in. USFA cards can be reprinted at https://www.railstation.org/usfencing/Login.aspx?sraid=10. If no proof of membership you must complete and pay for USFA membership. Current membership list: http://usfencing.org/us-fencing-membership/current-membership-listing. You may join or renew USFA at the door (parent signature required if under age 18). Have separate check payable to USFA or use your credit card (preferred). Download USFA membership application at: : http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/44701/2011-12_Individual_Membership_Application.pdf
• Seeding: Div I-A - Current National Senior Ranking within each classification, then classification/year. Div II - Letter ranking/ year
• Only official USFA ratings will be used. Ratings will be verified prior to the event. Check current ratings at http://usfencing.org/us-fencing-membership/current-membership-listing
• Format: One round of pools (5-touch/3 minute bouts), then all fencers advance to direct elimination round (15 touch/9-minute bouts.)
• Prizes awarded to Top 8.
• Fencers are responsible for ensuring accuracy of all posted information and must report errors to the bout committee immediately. Fencer signature on pool score sheets and DE bout slip implies accuracy.
• Withdrawal during pools: If medical withdrawal occurs during pool round (fencer does not complete pool), then fencer has no results to report and cannot be used towards competitive field total to determine classification or qualification to championships.
• Withdrawal during DE: If medical withdrawal occurs after completion of the pool or during DE round the fencer keeps place in table to determine results and may be used towards competitive field total to determine classification and/or qualification to championships.
• A fencer receiving a black card (for failure to appear at strip or other penalty in accordance with the penalty chart) will be listed in the final results as “Fencer Excluded,” and results cannot be used toward competitive field total to determine classification and/or qualification to championships.