COBRA YOUTH –All Weapons (Y8-Y14)
• Entry deadline Nov 25. Entry after Nov 25 depends on space and late fee applies. If event is full, e-mail the organizer to be placed on the waiting list.
• Competitive USFA membership, or other fencing federation membership, required
• Ratings can be awarded, however youth events do not use the E1 or D1 classifications. This means that these events are NR until they achieve C1 level or higher. Check USFA ratings chart at: http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/15801/Classification_Chart_2009.pdf
•** Liability waiver - Upon entering this tournament you agree to abide by the current rules of the USFA and other applicable rules instituted by Cobra Fencing Club. You acknowledge you are entering this tournament at your own risk and release the USFA and its sponsors, Cobra, and referees from any liability. With entry you give consent to Cobra to obtain medical care from any licensed physician, hospital or clinic for any injury or illness that may arise during activities associated with this tournament. Photography, filming, recording, or any other form of media of the athlete during the tournament can be used by Cobra and the USFA. Those wishing to opt out of media coverage must inform the Bout Committee.**
• Event entry is determined by 2012-13 USFA Birth year requirements:
Y8 = 2004-2007 (*not a USFA category, participation is at parent discretion)
Y10 = 2002-2005
Y12 = 2000-2003, or on Youth 10 NRP List
Y14 = 1998-2001, or on Youth 12 NRP List
If you are on the NRP list and your entry is rejected for age, contact us and we will handle your registration.
See current point standings at: http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Fencing/Athlete-Info/Rankings.aspx
• Y8/Y10 fencers must fence with #0 or #2 blades, i.e no longer than 32 inches.
• USFA rules apply. http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Fencing/About-Us/Manuals.aspx
• Full USFA regulation uniform is required. Name is NOT required on uniform. Conductive foil bib required.
• Must have at least two working weapons and two body cords.
• USFA or other foreign federation membership required. Join/renew at http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Fencing/Membership/Current-Membership-Listing.aspx. Must present membership card (or proof of membership payment) at check-in. If no proof of membership you must complete and pay for USFA membership. You may join or renew USFA at the door (parent signature required), however arrive with a completed form or plan to come early to complete required paperwork. Have separate checks made out to USFA or use your credit card (preferred) for USFA membership payment.
REGISTRATION AND EVENT FEES
Entries must be PAID to be considered complete. Unpaid entries will be removed from the "who's preregistered" list, with re-entry subject to space and with late fee payment. Notify us if you wish to pay by mail via check or pay at the door.
• Regular fee period (closes Nov 25): $35/event.
• Late fee period (Nov 26-30)(subject to space): $45/event
• Walk-in (Dec 1-2)(subject to space): $55/event. Payments made at the door with cash or check only.
Refund requests will only be honored if received no later than Nov 25.
FORMAT / CLOSE OF CHECK-IN TIMES:
Venue opens at 7:00 a.m. Start times are subject to change - check askfred.net for updates. Event sizes are limited. Fencing commences shortly after close of check-in. Arrive sufficiently early to have proper warm-up time.
Schedule of events (close of check-in time)
Y8 Mixed Foil (12:00)
Y8 Mixed Saber (3:30)
Y10 Mixed Saber (10:00)
Y10 Girls/Boys Foil (8:15)
Y10 Mixed Epee (1:30)
Y12 Girls/Boys Saber (12:00)
Y12 Girls/Boys Foil (1:00)
Y12 Mixed Epee (10:00)
Y14 Girls/Boys Saber (3:30)
Y14 Girls/Boys Foil (8:00)
Y14 Girls Epee (1:30)
Y14 Boys Epee (2:00)
• Events will be mixed if less than 6 fencers
• Seeding for pool round is based on the Current National Youth Ranking according to age group and weapon, then letter ranking with year classification, then fencers with neither points nor classification. Fencers with equal classifications will be randomized within each classification. Only ratings and points standings listed on the USFA website will be used.
• Each event consists of two rounds (pools and direct elimination). Pools: One preliminary round of pools comprised of the standard 5-touch bout in 3 minutes. 100% then advance to direct elimination round. Direct Elimination Tableau shall be comprised according to the results of the preliminary pool round. For Y14, DE bouts are 15 touch/9-minute bouts. For Y10-Y12, DE bouts are best 2 of 3 5-touch bouts. Any penalty cards issued during the match of 2 out of 3 five-touch bouts shall be in effect for the entire set of bouts in the match. During the 1-minute break, ONE PERSON designated by the fencer (team-mate, coach, or parent) may be on the strip with the fencer.
• No fence-off for third place; Medals awarded to 8th place.
• Fencers are responsible for ensuring accuracy of all posted information and must report errors to the bout committee immediately. This includes club affiliation, division, classification, date of birth, gender, spelling of name, etc . Errors in posted pool results must be reported to the BC immediately (within 5 minutes). Once DE round starts and tableau is posted, the pool results are final and no adjustments will be made. Check all scores before leaving the strip. Fencer signature on pool sheet and DE slip implies accuracy.
• Classifications (ratings) can be awarded, however youth events must exceed criteria in Group C1 or higher to award changes in classifications. View USFA Classification Chart at: http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/15801/Classification_Chart_2009.pdf
• Photography and filming is allowed, however NO flash photography is allowed near ongoing competitions.
•Withdrawal during pools: A fencer who withdraws, or who is excluded, is scratched from the pool, and his results are annulled as if he had not taken part.
•Withdrawal during DE: When for whatever reason a fencer cannot fence or cannot complete his bout, his opponent is declared winner of that bout. A fencer who withdraws does not lose his place in the overall classification of the competition.
629 Grove Street, 4th Floor
Jersey, City NJ
See Mapquest link on tournament home page for driving directions.
From Manhattan by train: PATH train from Manhattan to Hoboken. The walk would be about 20 minutes. Taxis available in Hoboken (appx 4 minute ride to Cobra). Have the cab take Observer Highway West and turn left on Grove St. The Lackawanna Warehouse is on the right-hand side between 18th and 16th St.
Parking is available in lot directly across street and also the parking lot at the southwest corner of 18th/Grove Streets. Once the main parking lot is filled there are three other parking locations:
1. You can park nose into the cyclone fence on 16th Street between Grove St. and Marin Blvd. Do not park in front of the sliding gate however.
2. There is a parking lot at the corner of Grove Street and 18th Street
3. You can go up the ramp located on Marin Blvd between 18th and 16th street. Do not block access to the truck bays. Stay to the right. If you are parking here drop off your fencer with a parent to check in. It's a 10 minute walk down the ramp and around the block to the Lackawanna Warehouse."