|Referee Clinic @DFC
|| Nov 3, 2019
Referee Seminar with Greg Dilworth
Bill Oliver, Certified Referee Instructors, will conduct the seminar on Sunday, Nov 3, 2019.
Time:9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Location: Denver Fencing Center
1930 S. Navajo St
Denver, CO 80233
The clinic will be held Saturday, November 3, starting at 9:00am and is expected to continue until approximately 5:00pm.
The clinic is funded by the Colorado Division and is free to attend. Food will be provided, but attendees are free to bring their own.
About the Referee Development Clinic
The Referee Development Clinic will provide you with a broad understanding of the role, responsibilities, and duties of a referee, as well as refine your sense of right of way, timing, and application of the penalties.
Attending an official FOC-sanctioned clinic is a prerequisite for becoming a certified USA Fencing referee, along with successful completion of a written exam. Once a passing score (90%) has been achieved on the written exam (both the general section and one or more weapon-specific sections) a referee receives a rating of "P" in each weapon passed. Further rating improvements (1-10) can be obtained at a later date by being evaluated in a practical setting at tournaments.
The written test is offered online and typically taken shortly following the clinic, though it may be taken in advance:
If you plan to sit the exam, please make sure that you have adequately prepared by going through the Study Guide:
Who should attend
This clinic is recommended for:
- Aspiring referees - who want to learn how right of way and rules are being applied at a national and international level;
- Athletes - who want to improve their games and get a more complete understanding of their sport;
- Coaches - who want to maintain their grasp of current interpretations and rules updates;
- Parents - who want a better understanding of tournament format and the basics of sport fencing for their children; and
- Current referees - who need to fulfill their yearly requirement for seminar attendance or further their personal development.