|N Texas Coaching Clinic
|| Oct 4, 2019 - Oct 6, 2019
This Clinic will provide training for coaches, fencers, parents and those interested in armory. All coaches and fencers attending the training must be US Fencing members.
USFCA practical exams for Assistant Moniteur through Master available
We apologize for any confusion. The clinic, previously scheduled for August, was moved to October by request of the USFCA.
Coaches Clinic - October 4-6, 2019
Fencing Institute of Texas
1000 West Crosby Road, Suite 134
Carrollton, Texas 75006
- 4:30-7PM ARMORER'S CLINIC
- 7:00-8:00PM Intros and what do they want from clinic?
- 8:00-9:00 AM Gen. Session #1 “Current Teaching Theory and Methodology in Modern Fencing”
- 9:00-10:30 AM Individual weapons training #1
- 10:30-10:45 AM Break
- 10:45-11:45 Session #2 “Modern teaching theory, Teaching Abilities VS Skills.”
- 11-Noon PARENT SESSION
- 12:00-1:00 PM working lunch with possible general session talk
- 1:00-2:30 PM Individual weapons training #2
- 2:30-2:45 PM Break
- 2:45-3:45PM Gen. session #3 “The NCAA and Fencing, Recruiting & Scholarships”
- 3:45- 4:00 PM Break
- 4:00-5:30 PM Individual weapon training #3
- 5:30-6:30 PM Dinner
- 6:30-6:45 PM Mid clinic evaluation, feedback, and short Q&A
- 6:45-8:00 PM Individual weapon training #4
- 9:00-10:30 AM Individual weapon training #5
- 10:30-10:45 AM Break
- 10:45-12:00 Prep for exams and possible general session for those not testing
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-? Boards and session(s) from 1:00 to 3:00 for those not testing.
*Getting and reading the book Range, Why Generalist Triumph in a Specialized World by David Epstein would be helpful in both General Sessions 1 and 2.
This Clinic is for coaches who want to train at the Moniteur, Prevot & Master levels and who want to learn the most current teaching skills for modern fencing. Subjects covered in all three weapons:
- Creating a lesson plan
- Structuring a lesson
- Giving cues-blade and distance, recent concepts
- Making corrections and the new theories on how and when to correct
- Developing training schedules for athletes
- Pedagogy of a lesson
- Tactical and strategic lessons are not separated anymore
- Student Coach led lessons starting on lesson number one
- New modern teaching techniques and theories
- Teaching Skills vs Teaching Abilities
Cost for Coaches:
- $150 USFCA Members
- $210 Non-USFCA Members
Testing fees or USFCA membership not included.
Instructor Coaches and Examiners are Fencing Masters Vinnie Bradford, Abdel Salem, Jerry Benson, and special guest coach Ariana Klinkov (Cornell University)
Cost for Fencers: $60 per day or $100 for both days. Fencers will act as students for the Student Coaches.
Armorer’s Clinic - Friday 4:30-7 PM
Ovy Waddoups, National Armorer, will provide a manual and training on what can and should be done with your students prior to a competition and during the competition, new rules and regulations, and what tools you should have with you at a competition. Cost is $25.
Parent’s Session – Saturday 11 AM – Noon
Information will be shared on what to expect from the coach at a tournament and what you can do to assist. Bring your questions concerning coaching at competitions. In addition, Brenda Waddoups, Region 5 Coordinator and USA Fencing Tournament Committee member, will be present to answer bout committee questions. Coach Salem will answer NCAA questions. Coach D’Asaro will be available to address coaching at international competitions. Cost is $20.
Meals: Saturday lunch may be purchased for $15, catered dinner on Saturday may be purchased for $25.00; preregistration is required. Breakfast snacks will be provided.
Courtyard by Marriott Dallas Carrollton
1201 Raiford Rd
Carrollton, Tx 75007
Holiday Inn Express Farmers Branch
1570 LBJ Fwy
Farmers Branch, Tx 75234
The clinic will have a limited number of scholarships and partial scholarships available courtesy of Fencing Institute of Texas. Contact the club at email@example.com or (972) 242-0399 for information. Scholarships are not available for travel or food expenses.
Preregistration opens on 05/29/2019.
Preregistration closes on 10/02/2019.