|Referee Clinic @DFC
|| Mar 23, 2019
Referee Seminar with Bill Oliver
Bill Oliver, Certified Referee Instructors, will conduct the seminar on Saturday, March 23, 2019.
Time:9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Location: Denver Fencing Center
1930 S. Navajo St
Denver, CO 80233
The clinic will be held Saturday, March 23, starting at 9:00am and is expected to continue until approximately 5:00pm.
The price for this clinic is $40 per person. Please bring cash or check for payment, as well as a lunch.
About the Referee Development Clinic
The Referee Development Clinic will provide you with a broad understanding of the role, responsibilities, and duties of a referee, as well as refine your sense of right of way, timing, and application of the penalties.
Attending an official FOC-sanctioned clinic is a prerequisite for becoming a certified USA Fencing referee, along with successful completion of a written exam. Once a passing score (90%) has been achieved on the written exam (both the general section and one or more weapon-specific sections) a referee receives a rating of "P" in each weapon passed. Further rating improvements (1-10) can be obtained at a later date by being evaluated in a practical setting at tournaments.
The written test is now offered online and typically taken shortly following the clinic, though it may be taken in advance:
If you plan to sit the exam, please make sure that you have adequately prepared by going through the Study Guide:
Who should attend
This clinic is recommended for:
- Aspiring referees - who want to learn how right of way and rules are being applied at a national and international level;
- Athletes - who want to improve their games and get a more complete understanding of their sport;
- Coaches - who want to maintain their grasp of current interpretations and rules updates;
- Parents - who want a better understanding of tournament format and the basics of sport fencing for their children; and
- Current referees - who need to fulfill their yearly requirement for seminar attendance or further their personal development.